Criminals, also known as “bank card scammers” have once again targeted ATM’s in the Wierda Park area.
These perpetrators distract customers withdrawing funds at an ATM and obtain the PIN number of the bank card utilized, before stealing or robbing the customer of the card.
Another way of stealing the victims money is watching the victim enter the PIN after which they steal, or rob him/her of the bank card.
All funds available is withdrawn from another ATM, merely minutes after the robbery or theft.
Today, three “card scammers” ended up in Police custody, after their evil plans and presence in the area were reported to Security service providers patrolling the area.
The suspects immediately fled the scene and Security companies gave chase.
Once again, Security service providers joined forces and the suspects were arrested in the area of Pretoria West.
Various exhibits relating to the crimes were seized and the suspects were handed to the SA Police service for further investigation.
Please take note of a few practical ways as to prevent incidents at ATM’s
* Be alert and conscious of your surroundings when using the ATM.
* Never give your card or PIN( Personal Identification Number) to anyone, for any reason.
* Don’t write your PIN on the card or anything that is kept with the card.
* Do not insert your card until asked to do so by the display screen.
* Never use an ATM with a blank screen and, if the ATM is obscured from view or poorly lit, leave immediately and find another ATM.
* Stand close to the ATM and use your body and hand as shield to make sure nobody sees you keying in your pin.
* Also, make sure you keep your hand over the card slot to make sure nobody can swop or take your card.
* Never accept help from strangers when using an ATM. You should be wary of strangers asking for help.
* Criminals work in teams- one to distract you while the other steals your card or money.
* If your card is retained (swallowed) by the ATM it is advisable to phone your bank toll free stop card line immediately and stop your card. This can now be done on the ATM or the specific banking App.
* Never allow a bystander to call the toll-free stop card line on your behalf- they could be tricking you into thinking your card has been stopped.
* Guards are placed at ATMs to discourage criminal activities and therefore cannot help you with transactions.
* If you need help, ask a bank official.
* It is advisable to set a daily ATM withdrawal limit at your branch.
(credit to SAPS official website)